Setting up a shop
From Our Toolkit
Setting up a shop for the first time can be a daunting prospect. The guides below provide easy to follow information on what to consider at every step of the journey.
- AIM Success Guides: Successful Retailing for Smaller Museums provides a good introduction to how to plan and set up a shop including case studies and top tips.
- Museum Development North West: Retail Toolbox provides step by step information on how to plan your shop, set income targets, plan your range of stock, get to grips with visual merchandising and how your shop can be an integral part of your visitor experience
- Museum Development South East: Effective Retail for Small Museums resources include guides on:
- Small Museum Shops that are Profitable
- Sourcing the Product Range
- Developing Bespoke Products
Reviewing an existing shop set-up
These documents can also be used to review how your shop is currently set up ranging from your stock range and the way you are displaying it to your profit margins and how to improve them.
Trading if you are a charity
Please note if you are a charity we would recommend that you fully understand what trading activity you can undertake. The National Council for Voluntary Organisations provides clear and easy to understand information on Trading and Charities.