Packing and moving collection items
From Our Toolkit
The way that collection items are packed and moved is at the heart of collections care. Understanding how to best pack your collection can help reduce any unneccessary handling and can help mitigate against less than ideal storage environments by creating protective micro-climates for items.
- Museum Development East Midlands have an informative Introduction to packing collections film.
- National Museums Scotland has produced an Object packing training course with good advice on different materials to use and best practice for different collections types.
- The Museum of London has a useful e-tools on Packing museum objects for storage and Packing museum objects for moving.
- Share Museums East has a helpful ‘How to Guide’ on Packing Museums Objects.
- The Archives & Records Association have guidelines on Packing Procedures.
- Norfolk Record Office’s Community Archives toolkit has a section on Storing collections for packing.
The National Archives’ Managing Mixed Collections document has a whole section on Storage and packing for mixed collections (from p49 onwards)