How to recruit and employ staff
From Our Toolkit
There are a number of useful resources to support you in how to recruit and employ staff.
Writing role description and person specifications
Advice on developing descriptions for specific roles can be found here:
- Collections Trust’s Writing role descriptions and person specifications
- Fair Museum Jobs’s Manifesto is a good starting point it advocates for museum job recruitment that is based on the principles of fairness, transparency, equity and inclusivity.
- The Museums Association’s Salary Guidelines 2017 and Archives & Records Association’s Salary recommendations. (Please note that it may be appropriate to add an uplift to these recommended salaries as they were produced 5 years ago and pre-COVID)
Where you choose to advertise will be informed by your budget and the role you are looking to fill. There numerous free and paid places where you can advertise your position, including:
- University of Leicester Museum Studies Jobs Desk
- Association of Independent Museums
- Group for Education in Museums
- Museums Association
- Museum Development Network – find your regional contact from the main site
- LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook
The NCVO’s Increasing the reliability of your selection process has advice on the writing person specifications, shortlisting and interviewing.