Collection management framework
From Our Toolkit
The Accreditation Standard (2018) requires museums to develop policies to guide their collections management work. Using a collections management framework approach one possible way of managing collections.
Collections Trust – Collections management framework guidance
If you are applying for Accredited status you may choose to develop a collection management framework which has a series of inter-linked policies within it. Collections Trust’s Collection management framework guidance outlines the content of a framework. The Acquisitions policy and the Collections Development policies have already been covered in ?? section of the toolkit. The remaining policies to complete the set are:
Collections documentation policy template
- Northern Ireland Museums Council have produced a useful template which can be adapted for your organisation.
Collections access policy which should include:
- How people can see, use and reference your collection, gain access to your museum buildings and sites and how you share information about the collection with people.
- Outline the different ways you interpret your collections
- How you enable public access to building, collection and information
- Leeds Museums & Galleries have created an access policy statement which can be used for reference when creating your own.
Collections care and conservation policy which outlines how you plan to maintain and wherever possible improve the way you care for and conserve your collections
For further information about this policy see the Writing a Collections care and conservation policy subject in Level 2 of the Collections Care topic.