Thames Rowing Club Archive
Organisational records, photographs and artefacts from the history of Thames Rowing Club (founded 1860). Thames Rowing Club has occupied the same clubhouse, on Putney Embankment, since 1879 and a sizeable collection has survived. This includes a complete set of minute books, circulars, correspondence, photographs and so on. There are also small additional collections donated by individual members. Cataloguing of all these is ongoing. Further artefacts, photographs and artworks are on display in the clubhouse.
Thames Rowing Club has been a leading amateur club (affiliated to the Amateur Rowing Association and, more recently, British Rowing) since early in its existence, with many successes at Henley Royal Regatta and other events. Notable past members include pioneering coach Steve Fairbairn and sculler Jack Beresford. The club began admitting women in 1972 and subsequently became prominent in women’s rowing. Many Thames RC oarsmen, oarswomen and coxswains have represented Great Britain in the Olympics and World Rowing Championships.