Badminton Library of Sports and Pastimes
The Badminton Library of Sports and Pastimes, edited by His Grace the Duke of Beaufort, K.G., assisted by Alfred E. T. Watson, was compiled in 1885 and dedicated to His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales. This collection of first edition volumes forms an “encyclopaedia to which the inexperienced man, who seeks guidance in the practice of the various British sports and pastimes, can turn for information” (Beaufort 1885).
It is located in locked glass-fronted cabinets in Special Collections. Please ask at the Customer Services counter for access to the collection.
What’s in the Badminton Collection?
This collection includes information on all major sports of the time, with volumes dedicated to:
- lawn tennis,
- and many other disciplines.
- Material types: Printed books
- Collection coverage: National/international
- Dates: c.1885
- Languages: English language materials
- Cataloguing status: Catalogued on University Library Catalogue